Sunday, February 19, 2012

"A transport-level error has occurred..." When linking a server.

I just installed Microsoft SQL Server Express SP2. I setup a linked server to an Oracle database using the followings commands:

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 'Oracle_DEV', 'Oracle', 'MSDAORA', 'DEV'

EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin 'Oracle_DEV ', false, NULL, 'oracledbuser', 'dbuserpassword'

When I try and query the linked database I get the following error message:

Msg 109, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - The pipe has been ended.)

I've been searching the web and have gotten a lot of hits on the error message but have yet to uncover anything specifically related to linked servers or anything closely related enough to help me resolve this problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.I am having the exact same problem as you.. I am still trying to find a solution.. I will let you know if I do.. also if you find a solution could you post it here. Thanks|||

This is more of a general engine issue so I'm going to move it to that forum.

Mike

|||

I seem to have solved the problem.. I changed the registry settings for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\MTxOCI

OracleSqlLib = orasql10.dll

OracleXaLib = oraclient10.dll

then in Admin tools / services. I stopped and started SQL server Express & SQL Server browser (not sure if this did anything - but just letting you know what worked for me)

I am now able to query the oracle database.

One thing though - it is a lot slower than using MS Access and an ODBC passthrough query

No comments:

Post a Comment