Saturday, February 25, 2012

"could not open connection to SQL Server"?

I just installed a new SQL 2005 Server (September CTP - Developer Edition) on Windows Server 2003 (Using Virtual PC).

I have created a Data Model to be used for creating reports. When I tried to deploy the Model, I got an error along the lines of "...SQL Server does not allow remote connections...".

I then took a step back and tried to browse the report server (http://localhost/reportserver) and I got the message below:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I also notice that when I go into the Reporting Services Configuration Manager, I see that the Initialization item in the left hand side is Not Configured (has a "red x"). When I try clicking on this item, I get a similar message to the one above.

I am very new at SQL 2005 and this is my first install of it (I have been using other installations in the past). I did some searching and found that I should use the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration utility to allow remote connections for both TCP and Named Pipes. I did this and rebooted my server and I am still getting the same error messages.

Is there something I have yet to configure?

Any and all help is very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Brian McCulloughRight after I posted this I realized I renamed the Computer after I installed SQL. The problem was that when I installed reporting services, it created all the connection information based on the "old" computer name.

Brian|||What did you have to do to fix it? Where is the connection information?|||In the Reporting Services Configuration Manager select the Database Setup item on the left-hand side. This is where you specify the Database connection properties for the ReportServer database. I had to change the Server Name to match the current machine name, not what I had it as originally.

-Brian|||I had a similar problem - I was able to fix it by specifying my server as computer-name\servername
Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment