Saturday, February 25, 2012

"Creating a Mobile Application with SQL Server" Tutorial Problem

I am attempting to go through the "Creating a Mobile Application with SQL Server" walkthrough found in the SQL Mobile Books Online help file. Towards the end of this document (under SQL Server Mobile Tasks), they show how to create a new subscription. Unfortunately, after step 10--when you are asked to click finish--I get the following error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Failure to connect to SQL Server with provided connection information. SQL Server does not exist, access is denied because the IIS user is not a valid user on the SQL Server, or the password is incorrect.
HRESULT 0x80004005 (29061)

One potential area of concern is in setting up the windows authentication login. Step two of "Secure the publication" states "type computername\iusr_computername, where computername is the name of your computer." I was not sure what iusr_computername stood for--should I just type in my windows account for this machine? Or am I to make an account called "isur_computername?"

I just restarted my system and now receive a different error (at the same place):

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Authentication failed on the computer running IIS.
HRESULT 0x80070057 (28011)

|||

Hi,

IUSR_<IISMachineName> is an account automatically built-in and would be created automatically when IIS is installed. This is the login account that would be used when you chose the authentication as anonymous. Simply to say, this is anonymous user account. Ofcourse, you can change IIS to use a different account as anonymous account. Now, please replace the 'IISMachineName' with IIS Machine name in your environment and assign permissions to this IUSR account on Virtual Directory (read & write, create and delete files).

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Laxmi Narsimha Rao ORUGANTI, MSFT, SQL Everywhere, Microsoft Corporation

|||I'm having the same problem when I try to use a subscription for MS SQL 2005 I get the same error message. I have tried to use different account including the IUSR_<machinename> but have the same problem.|||

Hi keyboardape. Did you solve your problem?

I met the same issue like your and I solved it today.

Let me know

|||

I am getting this same message! I'm trying to get the AdventureWorks merge replication sample using a mobile device to work.

I have tried both anonymous and authenticated and used various users. Any help? Thanks!

|||

Hi Nick, what was the solution?

initially I had the exactly same error as jonfroehlich ...

the walkthrough goes fine until step 10 of 'create a new subscripition' then it just fails and gives the following error:

--

Failure to connect to SQL Server with provided connection information.
SQL Server does not exist, access is denied because the IIS user is not a valid user on the SQL Server, or the password is incorrect.
HRESULT 0x80004005 (29061)
The operation could not be completed.

--

but after running it again the error msg has changed to ...

--

Initializing SQL Server Reconciler has failed.
HRESULT 0x80045901 (29045)
The process could not connect to Distributor '<mycomputername>.
HRESULT 0x00004E74 (0)The operation could not be completed.
--

I created a new iusr_<computername> account as directed in the walkthrough and have assigned it accordingly...

can you help?

Thanks

|||Hi there
as Laxmi suggested, you do have to set up the IIS and the authentication correctly
try the following:
1. after creating your publication on the management studio, add the user IUSR_<IISMachineName> in the security->login folder
Important: you don't have to create that user, this user already exist, so look it up under advanced search!!
2. rightclick on that user and choose properties
3. under usermappings check the box of the database you would like to access, then click ok
4. rightclick on your publication and choose properties
5. select publication access list an add the IUSR_<IISMachineName> user and click ok
6. rightclick on your publication, select view snapshot status and generate the snapshot

7. execute the web synchronisation wizard (conwizz30.exe) before the subscription wizard!!
this wizard creates the virtual directory for the webaccess, choose annonymous access
8. execute the subscription wizard and use windowsauthentication

the following link helps a lot:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnppcgen/html/med302_msdn_sql_mobile.asp?frame=true

by the way, check the port (settigns-Controlpanel-administrativetool-iis) of your IIS (default is 80) but it might be possible that it's not (if you use skype or such appilations)
if it's not 80 you have to add the port to the url in the WebServer Authentication Step of the Subscription Wizard like 192.168.0.111:81/myVirtDir

Hop it helps
Greets Florian
|||

In my case, I got a very similar error message while trying to use SQL server authentication with the 'sa' account.

- Synchronizing Data (100%) (Error)

Messages

* Failure to connect to SQL Server with provided connection information. SQL Server does not exist, access is denied because the SQL user is not a valid user on the SQL Server, or the password is incorrect.

HRESULT 0x80004005 (29060)

It turned out sa account was disabled by default.

|||

I have the same problem. The fix of Florian did not help me.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

GIo

|||

It is Correct.

Thanks. I got the solution. I have created a Word Document to configure step by step.

But, I dont know how to upload it here to help others.

|||

Hi,

Previously I was using Sql mobile in device, that was worked fine with SQL Server 2005. Now as per client's requirement they want the Database in sql ce and sql server 2000.

First of all I would like to know that which are the required cab files for sql ce environment in the device and from where i can get those?

When i see the merge agent, it is connecting Sql server 2000 from sql mobile and it is able to connect the sql server 2000 publisher, but after connecting to publisher when it tries to connect the subscriber it stops with message "Connecting to subscriber WM_Dhaval1". after waiting for 10 minutes the message changes to "The agent is suspect, no response within last 10 minutes" with failed satus. I am sure the problem is with subscriber.

Is sql mobile compatible with sql server 2000? or i have to use sql ce for mobile device explicitely?

|||Was having the same issue. I believe it is caused because I have multiple network cards.

I got this tutorial working, when in the wizard to create a new subscription on the page "choose publication" I selected the aktual server name (my pc name) rather than (local). Then it worked for me.

good luck
|||I have the same problem, each time to subscribe the subscription said that the IIS user is not valid SQL Server user. When I create publication on Windows XP the problem is solved, but when I try on Vista the problem go back again. I have create SQL Server login for IUSR and put it into Publication Access List (PAL) of my publication. Is there any user that I must include for IIS 7 or only IUSR.

Sorry I'm really new on discovering IIS 7, for IIS 6 just fine for me.

Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment