Sunday, March 25, 2012

(OT) Forum or newsgroup (was: Re: newsgroup sqlserver.msde , but no sqlserver.sqlexpress?)

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:04:46 +0100, Andrea Montanari wrote:

>Microsoft is quiet deprecating NG in favour of it's
>own forum
Hi Andrea,
Do you have any idea why they are doing that?
Until recently, the Microsoft community pages hosted a portal to the
various microsoft newsgroups. When I clicked the link in your message, I
was quite surprised to see a new (?) forum, totally unrelated to the
newsgroups.
For me personally, it would be a shame if the newsgroupw were abandoned
in favor of a web forum. With Agent (the tool of my choice), Outlook, or
may other NNTP enabled software, it's very easy to follow discussions in
usenet groups. I can easily skip threads about subjects that are of no
interest to me, keep messages that require some research or testing on
hold until I have the time to reply to them, re-read older messages, and
type and post answers when I have time. I am convinced that I'd never be
able to post anywhere near the amount of answers I currently do if I
can't use Agent or a similar tool to access the groups.
If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, can you please confirm or deny
what Andrea wrote? And if it's true, can you explain your reasons for
this move?
Inquiring mind wants to know....
Best, Hugo
(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)
hi Hugo,
Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:04:46 +0100, Andrea Montanari wrote:
>
> Hi Andrea,
> Do you have any idea why they are doing that?
actually not... I think I've heard it at SQL Server MVPs summit in Dallas,
but I was not paying attention a lot due to alcoolic distractions (:D) ...
they told us that they are increasing Forums support and NNTP flavours will
not be dropped in the next future, and lot of MVPs were very glad to hear
about these new forum where only part of them were disappointed about this
NNTP deprecate status (me first of all :D)

> Until recently, the Microsoft community pages hosted a portal to the
> various microsoft newsgroups. When I clicked the link in your
> message, I was quite surprised to see a new (?) forum, totally
> unrelated to the newsgroups.
> For me personally, it would be a shame if the newsgroupw were
> abandoned in favor of a web forum. With Agent (the tool of my
> choice), Outlook, or may other NNTP enabled software, it's very easy
> to follow discussions in usenet groups. I can easily skip threads
> about subjects that are of no interest to me, keep messages that
> require some research or testing on hold until I have the time to
> reply to them, re-read older messages, and type and post answers when
> I have time. I am convinced that I'd never be able to post anywhere
> near the amount of answers I currently do if I can't use Agent or a
> similar tool to access the groups.
> If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, can you please confirm or
> deny what Andrea wrote? And if it's true, can you explain your
> reasons for this move?
hope they will answer "Andrea is totally wrong, we'll never do it and will
increase NNTP flavours.." :D

> Inquiring mind wants to know....
ROTFL
:D
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.15.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.60.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment