Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Trunc log on checkpoint" & "select into/bulk copy" on sqlserver 2005

Hi

I need to set both these options on a staging database where fast bulk inserts (non-logged inserts) need to be done and I want the log to be truncated automatically on checkpoints. Simple & BULKLOGGED recovery models seem to be mutually exclusive. Somewhere in the documentation, I read the with Simple recovery model, non-logged bulk inserts can be turned on. I tried using sp_dboption also. Can't get it to work. Setting one seems to turn off the other.

Looking for some pointers here ...

Thanks,

-chiraj.

There will always be log whether the database is in simple/bulk logged.
Have you read this:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175987.aspx|||

Thanks for responding. I know there will always be a log. My point is why are these 2 options mutually exclusive. Having both options turned on would allow me to do continuous bulk inserts without having to worry about log filling up.

Thx,

-chiraj.

|||You can only have 1 mode set at anytime. So, just set it to Simple, do your dataload, then set it back to Full.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment