Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Upgrade" from 2000 to 2005, version still says 8.0.2039

I just installed 2005 and accepted all the defaults to upgrade the default instance of 2000 as prompted. However, when I open the SQL Server Mgnt Studio, my server shows 8.0.2039 as the version which is 2000, and I can't restore a backup from another 2005 server, because it gives an error message like it still thinks its 2000. The whole installation process went fine including sp1. I looked in Services to see if there was more than one instance of SQL Server, and there isn't. Also, all my database files are still in the old 2000 (mssql\data) directory. Any ideas, solutions? Thanks.

Michael

I have the same problem. It's like the upgrade didn't totally happen. The new Management studio is installed, but the 2005 specific progs don't work. Like the surface area configure program errors when started since it can't find any 2005 servers installed.

|||

Here's the response that I received from someone else on another forum that was kind enough to reply and it also worked. I simply stopped the 2000 service, and reinstalled. You would think that the installer would do this for you, but oh well. HTH

Before you update to 2005, you have to stop the 2000 version. If you don’t, the code to start 2005 is not installed and the code for starting and stopping 2000 will remain on the server. Thus 2000 will always be started and not 2005. Hope this helps.

Try stopping 2000 and reinstalling 2005.

|||

That's correct, since files are always in use, you need to restart the services for both versions to get the full upgrade to work.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

|||

So to be clear...

I don't have to uninstall either version now. All I have to do is stop all of the current SQL services that are running. Then re-insert the 2005 disc, and it will re-upgrade over itself? ( I don't want a new instace installed, I literally wanted the upgrade so that only one version would be on the machine )

Is there a way to do this without putting the disc back in? i.e. Are all of the files present since I tried to upgrade the first time. So now, I could just stop the services and use some other method to get it to reinstall all new files and services over itself? Or do I have to physically reinsert the disc to follow normal steps?

|||I did not uninstall anything. I just stopped the 2000 service, then reinserted the CD and reinstalled 2005 exactly as I did before, with the intent of upgrading (i.e. replacing) 2000. After completion, I may have had to start the MSSQLServer service manually and set to automatic, can't remember, but after that everything was just fine, and there only appears to be one instance/service (2005).|||Thanks much...I am clear now. I will try this tonight. Since I am about to do this...did you have any surprises or "gotchas" that you can warn me about? Anything that worked before then didn't work after? Also, did you do any timing studies to verify if the 2005 is faster than the 2000? I have heard that the BULK INSERTS are speed improved, but have not seen any benchmarks or other data on speed increases. Just wondering if you noticed some benefits and/or have data on the improvements. Thanks again for the help, glad you were still watching this thread even though you already got the answer elsewhere.|||

There seems to be a hitch. I stopped all of the SQL services. Pop in the disc, begin the install process.

First snafu...

The installer knows that my current install, 2005 Workgroup with SP1, is newer than the version I have on the disc, so it blocks the install. A small report window appears saying I can avoid this problem by installing from the command line and using the SKUUPGRADE=1 parameter. So, I open "Run..." from the start button. I run "F:\Setup.exe SKUUPGRADE=1" The installer begins, but...

Second snafu...

I eventually get to the part where I select the services to install. I choose all services and select the "All components will be installed" option for all of them. I tell it "default instance". Then the installer tells me that it can't continue since all of the components are already installed. Forced to exit.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to just re-install without these problems?

|||

Hi Sam:

Thanks for trying to help...but, your response is not clear, you first say "That's correct" which makes me think that you agree with the info that came from the previous post, the one that says to stop SQL 2000 services and re-install 2005. But, then your post goes on to say "restart both services for both versions", which is not the same as stopping SQL 2000 then reinstalling 2005. Which is it?

Also, if you read my other posts in this thread, the "stop 2000 services and re-install 2005" does not work. The installer will not allow a "re-install" since it sees that 2005 is already installed...furthermore, when using the SKUUPGRADE=1 which is supposed to skip this problem, the installer stops since all of the programs are already installed.

Please help...I am still stuck in the same spot and not sure how to proceed. I suppose I could just uninstall all of the 2005 programs then try all this again...but I was hoping that there was an easier and less time consuming solution.

Thanks in advance.

|||

Sorry for not having a more direct answer, but can you read through this forum thread regarding SQL 2000 and 2005 on the same box and see if it applies to your situation?

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=397541&SiteID=1

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

|||

Sorry Sam, this doesn't seem to be the problem I am having. The problem I am having is explained in all of the previous posts in this thread. A SQL 2005 upgrade from SQL 2000 appears to have worked, but it didn't. The version number still shows 8.00.2039 and the SQL 2005 Tools say that there is no 2005 instance on the machine. The other posts here explained how to fix this, but the fix doesn't work since the installer program sees the previous SQL 2005 install on the machine, it won't allow another install to cover over it.

But, since I read the other forum, now I am worried about trying to uninstall SQL 2005 and try again.

Please help if you have any other ideas or point me in the right direction for other resources that may know what to do.

Thanks

|||I am also having the very same problems to the "T". It is also causing a new installation of Reporting Services from properly initializing on the server. It complains about a version problem.

It would seem the next logical step would be to somehow get the databases converted, but outside of doing an upgrade from the SQL Server 2005 setup disk, I cannot find any good documentation on how to do this.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am at wits end.

No comments:

Post a Comment